SWAINS LANE, LONDON
LONGEST LIST OF THE LONGEST STUFF AT THE LONGEST DOMAIN NAME AT LONG
The story of Swains Lane, London.
Swains Lane is the
perfect scenery to live all sorts of haunting experiences when
visiting London. This winding woody road is located in the borough
of Camden, about 18 minutes northeast of Archway's tube station,
from which it runs uphill crossing the village of Highgate towards
Highgate Cemetery is the hottest
haunting spot in Swains Lane, but there are also a number of old
structures in which haunting activity is continuously reported,
including The Flask and Ye Olde Gatehouse, both public houses rated
as pub establishments in present days.
The Flask is situated at the back of
the cemetery and perhaps this location contributes with reports of
continuous apparitions occurring at any time of night and day. Ye
Olde Gatehouse is one of the oldest houses in London which history
dates back to 1310.
The Bishop of London adjoined this area
to his hunting estate and kept a toll-gate to access it, but pulled
down in 1890. Charles Dickens and Lord Byron were frequent visitors
of this place, and today their ghosts keep wandering around here.
On Swains Lane, there is another
haunting place adjacent to the cemetery, which is the Holly Lodge
Estate, a series of mansions built in 1798, which became famous
after Queen Victoria selected this place as rural retreat. In the
late 1990s, many witnesses saw the Queen walking in the gardens of
this property by the side of her beloved Prince Albert, and spooky
activity remains in the place until today.
The first route of a cable car built in
Europe ran from Archway to Highgate Hill between 1884 and 1909
following the trace of Swains Lane. Residents of this area say that
a cable car used to break the silence that surrounds the cemetery by
However, the street by itself is also the scene of paranormal
activity along the exterior walls of the cemetery, in which ghosts,
and evidence of witchcraft and sorcery works are commonly found
every day after a human vampire was seen at this place in the 1970s.
Page Sponsored By: