VALLECITO STAGE STAION
LONGEST LIST OF THE LONGEST STUFF AT THE LONGEST DOMAIN NAME AT LONG
The story of Vallecito stage station.
Station is a small valley on the West side of the Colorado Desert
that serves as a landmark of San Francisco. The valley is lush with
green grass and even has its own springs, which is how it had come
to be known as a true lifesaver to explorers that had crossed the
unforgiving desert, which was also known as the “Journey of Death.”
The valley had one road and that was the only road that entered into
southern California so it became a welcome rest stop for travelers
as they used it to rehydrate and rejuvenate themselves and the
animals that they were travelling with.
In 1851, a traveler with a keen
entrepreneurial spirit, by the name of James R. Lassiter opened a
shop in the valley, where he profited selling needed items to the
many explorers making their way through. He built a store and a
campsite out of the salt grass that was plentiful in the area and
soon, many people followed his lead and homes and businesses were
constructed in the valley. In 1854, the valley became a stop on the
regular mail route as two men, Samuel Warnock and Joseph Swycaffer
invented the first mail going through to southern California. The
mail was delivered on horseback from San Diego and Yuma, Arizona,
and stopped in Vallecito along the way.
Along with the new postal service,
Vallecito was also becoming a place for those serving in the Army to
stop and rest while they travelled back and forth from California.
Although it provided much rest and refreshment for those travelling
through it, the stage station also saw its fair share of deaths and
robberies and it is from these stories that the landmark gets its
rumors of hauntings occurring there today.
One of the most famous stories of this
place is that of a stage robbery that happened a long time ago. The
stage was just about to reach Vallecito Station when four robbers
approached the stage coach with their guns drawn. The driver
volunteered to give them a box that contained $65,000 in cash and
the bandits took it and ran. As the bandits ran from the coach, the
driver shot one of them but when he approached the man he had shot,
he was shocked to find that two of the men, not just the one he had
shot, were dead. The driver assumed that one of the bandits had shot
the other to preserve more of the money for themselves. The two
bandits who had run away had escaped into Vallecito Station to bury
the money they had stolen.
After arriving in Vallecito Station,
the two escaped bandits stopped for something to eat and got into a
heated argument. The bandit leader then left, saying that he wanted
to resume the discussion when he returned. When he arrived, it was
on the back of his grand white stallion and shot the other bandit.
The bandit that had been shot, drew his pistol before taking his
last breath and shot the bandit leader off the stallion’s back. The
bandit leader dropped to his death and the stallion, scared by the
gun shot, headed for the hills. It’s said that the ghost of the
White Horse still wanders around the area where the money was
buried. The grand stallion seems to come out of nowhere and then it
runs through the sand, back into the hills.
Another very famous ghost that haunts
the station is that of the Eileen O’Connor, the “White Lady of
Vallecito.” Her fiancÚ had found gold in the Sierra goldfields and
she was travelling to Sacramento to be with him. Just before
reaching the station, she became very sick and needed to be carried
into the station. Although she was laid in a bed at the back of the
station and very well cared for over the next two days, Eileen died.
After her death, the station staff went through her luggage and
found the wedding dress that she was to be married in. They dressed
her in it and buried her in the Valley in an unmarked grave. It’s
said that she still wanders around the abandoned station site today,
and waits for the train that will take her to Sacramento.
Although the original station is no longer standing, a
reconstruction was built in 1934. It still welcomes visitors who
want to picnic and rest for awhile before continuing on their
Page Sponsored By: