Haunting at Chingle Hall


The story of the haunting at Chingle Hall.

England is known to be one of the most haunted countries in the entire world and therefore, it’s extremely hard to determine which building can be considered to be the most haunted. But if there were such a list of contenders, there’s no doubt that Chingle Hall would be high on the list.

Chingle Hall, which was once known as Singleton Hall, was built by Sir Adam de Singleton in 1260 and it lies just outside of Goosnargh, which is close to Preston, England. The house is famous for 2 reasons: it is the oldest brick building in all of England and, it is known that there is a high amount of paranormal activity within the house. In 1585 the Wall family, who were relatives of the Singletons, moved into the home. It was here that John Wall was born in 1620. However, by the time John was 21, he was a Roman Catholic priest and it was a very ill-fitted time to hold such an occupation. It was during the time of Catholic Reformation and it was considered to be highly illegal to practice any kind of Roman Catholic mass. For this reason, priests would conduct masses in secret and Chingle Hall was a common place for such secret masses to take place. Inside the hall, there were many priest holes and secret compartments that the priests and the congregation could hide in if the king’s soldiers were to come and look for illegal activity. Father John Wall was extremely dedicated to the church and he held the most secret masses.

However, Father John Wall’s secret activities didn’t go entirely unnoticed and in 1678 he was apprehended as he was tendering the Oath of Supremacy, which would confirm him as being the Supreme Governor of the Church of England. Wall was taken to the Worcester jail, where he was offered his life in exchange for giving up the church and everything associated with it. But John Wall was forever a religious man and he in no way would give up his love for the church. Because of this, he was drawn and quartered after which he was buried in St. Oswald’s churchyard. However, the friars kept his head at the friar house and they all considered it to be extremely valuable until that house dissolved during the French Revolution. It’s believed today that his head is either buried on the property of the hall or within the building itself. In 1764 the hall was owned by the Farrington family and during this time it became known as a place of heavy religious activity. The Roman Catholic traditions were still clung to and tunnels were built through the walls to surrounding properties so that people could make quick escapes.

The hall’s long history makes it a great place for many legends and stories. However, the things known about Chingle Hall are neither stories nor legends. They are true-blue, authentic hauntings! There is known to be a poltergeist in the kitchen who is fairly harmless but does move around the pots and pans occasionally. Also within the hall, guests and those living within the hall have also seen visions of monks quite often and one that is particularly active is the monk who lives in the priest’s room upstairs. He is often seen walking out the window – which is 12 feet above the ground!

There’s also a room that is known as Eleanor’s Room and this is where Eleanor Singleton’s quarters were. However, ‘quarters’ may actually be too kind a word. In this room, Eleanor Singleton was held as a prisoner for 12 years and died there at the young age of 17. Many believe that she was also murdered in that room. It’s said that by going into this room, people immediately become overwhelm with a feeling of profound sadness. A faint scent of lavender also often comes into this room inexplicably and guests have often felt their clothing being pulled or tugged at only to look and find no one there. Some visitors have seen orbs in the room as well although they have only been visible to one or two people when they come in groups to this room. In 1997 Darren Done, a parapsychologist, was filming a movie outside of the window, on the landing just outside of Eleanor’s Room. He says that while trying to film he was hit in the face so hard that he fell to the ground and had bruising and swelling around his nose. A witness says that he was pushed back forcefully enough to knock him back 18 inches.

In 1980 on Christmas Day, two ghost hunters by the names of Gerald Main and Terence Whitaker were keeping vigil and recording so that they could detect any ghostly presences. They said that they heard rapping sounds coming from one of the holes the priest used to hide in. They also documented that while these sounds were heard, it got extremely cold in the area and they could see a shape moving across the floor. Then in 1985 a visitor was staying in the priest’s room and they said that they could hear bricks being moved around inside the priest’s hiding hole. The brave soul looked inside and could see a partial outline of a human’s hand moving a brick around. Once he looked, the hand disappeared and the bricks stopped moving. The same person later got the sound of someone walking on tape. Bricks were also later found on the floor of the chapel.

But perhaps the most famous story about hauntings at Chingle Hall is the one about the wooden beams that suddenly caught fire. There was no indication that there was anything wrong with the wood or anything near them that would cause them to suddenly start ablaze. No harm was done however. Just as quickly as the flames had started, they extinguished, with as little help as they had getting started in the first place.

Chingle Hall is currently owned by a married couple, one of which is a historian. There is still continuing investigations into the home and its history. The owners of the home do not allow anyone to stay overnight and they stress that the home, its garden, and the land on which it sits is private property.

Chingle Hall

Haunting at Chingle Hall

Haunting at Chingle Hall

Page Sponsored By: Gadget Advisor Tech News