THE MANOR HOUSE RESTAURANT
THE LONGEST LIST OF THE LONGEST
STUFF AT THE LONGEST DOMAIN NAME AT LONG LAST
The story of the Manor House Restaurant.
In the beginning, the Manor House
Restaurant was the home of Lord William Fitz-Wido de Offini. By record the home
was built in 1230 however, the timber beams using the latest technology dates
them at around 1275. In 1180, de Offini founded Sandwell priory. Not long ago, a
life size stone effigy of him was discovered in the priority. He is buried at
the priory along with others without headstones.
Throughout history, the home was bought and sold
several times and it has had a few owners including Sir Samuel Clarke from 1713
to 1823, then James Smith the Earl of Dartmouth owned the Manor House until his
death in 1829, then his trustees were in charge. In 1836, the Manor House was
converted into apartments where three families until the 1880ís. All the
conversions and remodeling hid the true manor house until while it was being
demolished in the 1950ís when artifacts began to be found. Some of the objects
that were found include leather, pottery, and clay pipes.
Some of the artifacts can be seen at the Manor
House in museum area or at the Wednesbury Art Gallery.
Now about the ghosts. There have been a few
paranormal investigations performed where the lights would go off mysteriously
and the chapel and restaurant both were in total darkness. While using the
ladies restroom, little girls reported seeing black pointed shoes below a stall
door, and even the manager of the restaurant has heard her name being called
when she was totally alone. Other workers have heard footsteps and voices.
Others besides employees have reported seeing
unusual apparitions such as a man with a black beard peering out the window,
during wedding ceremonies that are performed in the building a person wearing a
black cape has been an uninvited guest, and a gray haired elderly lady has been
seen walking around.
The Manor House Restaurant
Page Sponsored By:
MP3 Recorder Software