Where is the lost treasure of the Stewart Brothers?
Many years ago in 1856, a French Canadian by the name
of Francois Finlay found gold in a stream later to be named Gold Creek. He
thought it was probably just a small amount around and not worth his time to
staking a claim therefore, he moved on westward.
However, a few years later, two brothers by the
name of James and Grant Stewarts found gold in the same stream. They did decide
to set up camp. At the time, though, this entire area was Blackfoot Indian
Territory and the Indians did not want any white man on their land.
The Stewart brothers decided to pack up and leave
because they were tired of fighting off Indians to search for gold. By this
time, they already had 25 sacks of gold ore and dust. Since, they could not
carry all of this gold with them, they decided to bury all 25 sacks and return
later to retrieve their gold. They carried all 25 sacks downstream to where
there was a fork in the stream and buried the sacks of gold in five separate
places about six feet apart in a circle.
In 1862, James and Grant finally made it back to
the Gold Creek area and began the search for their buried 25 sacks of gold. The
creek had changed over the years, the original spot was now covered with bushes,
and trees and the creek itself had changed course.
The Indians were no longer a threat so they started
up their mining operation once again while still searching for their buried
sacks of gold. They grew to a prosperous mining town however, the 25 sacks of
gold were never found. It is believed that the gold can be found on the left
side of a smaller stream that connects with Gold Creek in Powell County,
Page Sponsored By:
WMA to OGG